WHAT IS A YONI EGG: HOW TO USE IT
ACCESS YOUR KEGEL EXERCISE GUIDED AUDIO HERE
What does the word Yoni mean?
The word Yoni means “sacred temple" in ancient Indian Sanskrit language and refers to a woman’s vagina, vulva, cervix, ovaries and uterus. The word vagina literally means "sheath for a sword" in Latin and although we always use the correct terminology when referring to it anatomically, we choose to use the word Yoni in reverence for this space. With this in mind, we humbly honour and acknowledge the traditional heritage of this word and the meaning it brings to a woman's most sacred space - the vagina.
What is a Yoni egg?
A Yoni Egg is an egg-shaped stone that you wear inside your vagina to keep it strong, healthy and toned. The stone acts as a weight resistance to tone the pelvic floor muscles, which helps with bladder control, lubrication, libido and postpartum recovery.
How often do you wear a Yoni egg?
We suggest wearing a yoni egg three times a week for approximately 30 minutes to a few hours a day to receive the maximum impact.
What's the history?
Yoni eggs are an ancient Chinese Taoist practice dating back 5000 years ago. The Queen and her concubines used a stone egg to maintain a youthful & fertile reproductive system and a tight vagina for the King - enhancing pleasure tenfold!
Should all women wear a Yoni egg?
The short answer is no. The Yoni egg kegel weight is designed for women who want to connect with their body and sexuality while also tone their pelvic floor. In this case it's not ideal for vagina-owners who:
- have a hypertonic pelvic floor or who suffer from pelvic floor tension
- have vaginismus
- are pregnant (some women choose to wear it during pregnancy however this is an intuitive choice for their body)
- are menstruating. It's best not to block the flow of blood.
- have a vaginal infection like thrush, UTI or bacterial vaginosis
I'm a beginner, which Yoni egg should I buy?
If you're first starting out this practice, we suggest a medium, drilled Nephrite Jade Yoni Egg, which you can find here. The reason for this is simple: jade was the traditionally used stone used in China and is a grounding, balancing stone with the strongest, most dense weight (if you drop it, it won't break!). A drilled Yoni egg is always best for a beginner because it means it has a drilled hole to tie through our eco string (included with all drilled eggs) to retrieve.
How do I get my egg out?
The Yoni egg can't get stuck or lost inside the vagina as it's a one-way street, since the cervix (the doughnut-shaped neck of the vagina just before the uterus) is always closed. To remove the egg, simply pull on the string that you tie through the drilled hole or scoop out the egg using a finger. If you can't get it out, you can also squat down in the shower, do a wee and insert your finger whilst you're fully relaxed. It will always come out! You can always recruit a friend or a lover to assist
How do I use my Yoni egg?
The Yoni egg practice is not complex. There are essentially three ways to wear your Yoni egg:
1. A daily 15 minute "Yoni Egg Yoga" practice - AKA doing your kegels (pelvic floor exercises) in a series of exercises. Join The Golden Yoni Membership HERE for Yoni Egg Yoga Classes.
2. Inserting the Yoni egg and simply walking around the house! The weight of the egg and the gravity will create resistance, meaning there will be benefits for the pelvic floor muscles even if you don’t do your kegels (squeezes). Just make sure you wear your underwear in case it falls out.
3. Sleeping with it in. Some women insert the egg and it falls straight out! This is totally normal, particularly if you’ve had vaginal births. If this is the case, start with having it in while you’re horizontal, sitting or sleeping. The muscles will begin to gain memory & familiarity with having a weight internally.
If your Yoni egg pops out after using it for a very short period of time (5 minutes): cup your hands over your vulva, take a few deep breaths and ask your yoni for permission to re insert. Listen to her, whatever is your first answer is the correct answer. Tuning into your Yoni's voice is covered in depth on the Golden Yoni Membership
How often do I wear my Yoni egg?
We suggest using your Yoni egg daily or at least three times a week to experience ultimate results.
Rosie recommends a 30 day challenge when first starting out and she runs a 7 week Chakra Yoni Egg Challenge inside The Golden Yoni Membership.
If you use it once a week or once a month you may not experience much change in your pelvic floor, orgasm, sensitivity etc.
What size do I use?
Generally speaking, a medium size Yoni egg is ideal for the majority of vagina-owners, so to reduce confusion about sizes, we recommend most women to start with a medium size. However sometimes a “one-size” approach doesn’t fit everyone.
A small size is best for vagina-owners who have never had sex or have a smaller-sized vagina. It's also the best size for women wanting to advance their practice as the smaller shaped egg means the vagina has to contract more to hold it up, meaning more toning!
A large Yoni egg size is best for vagina-owners who have given birth multiple times or want to feel a bigger/heavier weight internally, which can be more of a challenge to hold in.
What are the benefits?
Using Yoni eggs have loads of benefits, including:
● Increases connection with the Yoni (so many women are "cut off" from the waist down)
● Increases sensation during sex / self pleasure
● Revitalises nerve-endings in the vagina
● Improves overall life-force energy or “chi” in the body
● Boosts sexual energy levels and awakens the libido
● Helps train the vagina for childbirth and recover the muscles post-childbirth
● Increases wetness and lubrication (yes, yes, YES!)
● Helps to prevent prolapse whereby the pelvic organs collapse into the vagina due to atrophy and non-use.
● Relieves incontinence (weak bladder/accidentally peeing)
● Balances hormones by increasing blood flow to the area, which contribute to youthfulness
● Heightens orgasmic potential and able to access a variety of orgasms
● Helps to stay grounded in body and brings awareness to the Yoni, womb and entire pelvic band
● Improves overall health, happiness and wellness - physically and spiritually - as the Yoni egg focuses on the place in the body with the most Chi (life force energy).
How do I wash my egg?
Wash your Yoni Egg before and after use with a chemical-free soap or essential oil (something like lavender or tea tree). You might like to try our beautiful Yoni egg cleanser oil or Yoni egg cleanser spray. Soap, cleanser oil or cleanser spray will wash away any bacteria and sterilize the egg. Make sure the drilled hole is clear and not harbouring bacteria.
Can I use boiling hot water on my Yoni egg?
Be sure NOT to put the crystal under direct boiling hot water as this may force it to crack. Warm soapy water is fine to use in between uses. The only stone that can withstand boiling hot water is our Nephrite Jade, but we still do not recommend this.
How and why do I energetically cleanse my egg?
It's important to regularly energetically cleanse your egg. Crystals absorb energy, so it’s important to neutralise the crystal by doing one or more of the following techniques:
● Leave overnight under a full moon (even if it’s cloudy).
● Rinse or soak in salty water (ideally the ocean).
● Leave in salt crystals overnight.
● Smudge with your sage stick.
● Leave in the sunshine (not too long or it might fade).
● Wrap in cotton and bury in the earth.
How do I set an intention into my Yoni egg?
To maximise your use out of the crystal, set your intention into the stone each time before using it. Crystals are natural entities from the earth and can be programmed with a heart felt intention. Simply close your eyes, place your crystal in your hands or against your heart, and feel into an authentic intention that rises up for you.
How do I store my Yoni egg?
Keep in a safe place inside its pouch and store somewhere high up so little hands can't reach it. Some people love to keep their Yoni egg on their altar to charge. Remember, this is your sacred stone, for no one else to touch.
I am pregnant, can I use my egg?
I have an IUD, can I use my egg?
It's fine to use the Yoni egg if you have an IUD as they are designed to withstand sex, tampons, self pleasure with dildos etc. A small, polished stone will likely not dislodge an IUD. To be extra careful, we recommend using a non-drilled egg so the string won't get caught on the wire.
I am menstruating, can I wear my egg?
Your moon-time is a sacred time of shedding and releasing so we recommend not using the egg during your monthly bleed. However if you feel intuitively called to use the egg, please do so for a small amount of time and only a small or medium egg (lighter in weight). During this time of the month there is downward flow of energy, so inserting a stone weight is going against the natural flow of energy, just like doing an inversion in yoga.
Can I have sex with my egg inside me?
Some vagina-owners love to use the egg during intercourse with their partner. It can enhance sensitivity and stimulation and even "fill the gap" if your partner's penis is on the smaller end of the spectrum. Some customers share feeling the crystal energy enhancing their sexual experience.
ACCESS YOUR KEGEL EXERCISE GUIDED AUDIO HERE
Here at three of my favourite yoni egg exercises, which help to build energy & juiciness.
1. PUSS UPS
Lie down on your back and bring your feet underneath your knees. Inhale, raise your hips up and gently squeeze your pelvic floor muscles (the feeling when you stop the flow of urine). Exhale, lower the hips down and relax the Yoni muscles. Perform 15 repetitions for 3 sets.
2. CAMEL RIDE
Kneel on the floor, knees wide with your hands on your thighs. Inhale, tilt forward and open up your heart. Exhale, round back and contract your pelvic floor around the egg as you tuck the tailbone under flexing back. Continue for 2 minutes with deep breathing.
3. SEXY CAT COW
Come into a table top position, your hands stacked under your shoulders and your knees stacked under your hips. Inhale and drop the belly down, tilting the sit bones up to the sky and opening the chest. Exhale as you round the back, tucking your chin into the chest and squeeze the vaginal muscles around the egg. Put on a sexy song, close your eyes and practice this for 3 minutes. Breathe deep, let out some sensual sounds & you will feel juicy and alive!
If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask in the comments section below!