GUEST POST BY SELINA GOULD
Note: The information provided in this article is not meant to be taken as professional medical advice.
How Do Wands and Eggs Complement Each Other?
When it comes to vaginal wellness, yoni wands and yoni eggs are some of the best tools to have in your bag. They each work in unique ways to help you build awareness and connection with your body. While working with either one can be beneficial on its own, they also work beautifully when used to complement each other because they each serve a different purpose- wands help to release tension in the pelvic bowl, and eggs help to re-engage and tone the pelvic muscles. Since the majority of pelvic discomfort stems from a combination of hyper-tension, muscular weakness, and a general lack of connection with our yonis, you can see why these tools work together so harmoniously.
So, What Are The Benefits of a Pleasure Practice?
Starting a wand/egg practice can help to support with issues like
- Pain or numbness during sex or self pleasure
- Menstrual pain
- Inability to orgasm
- Sense of disconnection from your yoni
Let’s talk more about how you can use these tools to create a soft, open, happy vagina.
But Wait… Isn’t a Proper Vagina Supposed To Be Tight and Taut, Not Soft and Open?
NO! While so many cultural narratives teach us to believe that vaginas should be “tight”, the reality is that the majority of vaginas out there are already too tight… and it’s not a good thing!
When our yonis experience physical or emotional stress, they can tighten up in an attempt to protect themselves. Tight muscular tissue is hyper-contracted and tense; it can get stuck to itself, which restricts its ability to move through a full range of motion. Muscles that can’t move properly start to weaken, and then they tense up even more to create stability- it becomes a vicious cycle.
Not so sexy, eh?
Instead of striving for “tighter” vaginas, what we should actually be cultivating are vaginas that are open, supple, receptive, and able to move through a full range of contraction and release. This is not only essential for pelvic health, but also creates space for expanded pleasure and orgasmic potential (more sensation + less tension + increased circulation = a more relaxed, engorged, lubricated yoni!).
What Can Yoni Wands Do?
Yoni wands are great for releasing tension through a practice called dearmouring. This is done by inserting a wand into the vagina and using it to gently massage the pelvic muscles through the vaginal walls. Check out this step-by-step yoni dearmouring practice.
The Cervix Serpent wands are long and curved, making them an ideal tool for gently exploring those hard-to-reach areas deep within the vagina. They sport one thin, tapered end for massaging sore/numb spots, and as an added bonus, they have a larger, bulbous end for G-zone and cervical stimulation. (Who doesn’t love a good multi-use tool, amiright??)
Beginners and other people who want a smaller tool can start with wands like the Cervix Serpent 1.0 or 3.0, the Lila, and the Crescent; for those who crave a girthier bulb, the Cervix Serpent 2.0 and the Stella are both great options.
Working with a yoni wand can help to
- Release tension
- Soften trigger points or “knots”
- Increase circulation, which brings nutrients and hydration to the pelvic organs and surrounding tissue
- Resensitise numb areas/desensitise painful areas
- Build awareness and connection with your yoni
What About Yoni Eggs?
Yoni eggs are used to help engage and tone the pelvic muscles. They are egg-shaped objects made from stone or glass, which provide weight resistance when worn inside of the vagina. An egg practice is done by gently inserting the egg into the vagina, and either doing an active exercise of contracting and releasing the pelvic muscles around it (aka Puss-Ups!), or simply leaving it in while you go about your day. Click here to learn more about how to choose the right egg for you, and how to use it.
Working with a yoni egg can help to
- Awaken weak, atrophied muscles, help them to come back online
- Tone and strengthen
- Improve bladder control
- Promote softness and receptivity
- Increase circulation
- Resensitise numb areas
- Bbuild awareness and connection with your yoni
Tips For Maximising Your Wand/Egg Practices
There is no right or wrong way to use these tools, but here are some good tips to keep in mind:
- To reap the full therapeutic benefits of these practices, you need to do them regularly. An ideal schedule could look like 2-6 dearmouring sessions per month, and at least 3 egg practices per week.
- Don’t overdo it! It’s safe (and even good for you!) to enjoy/play with your tools as often as you like; however, too much intensive practice can overwork your yoni and lead to soreness. Don’t exceed 1-2 dearmouring sessions per week; eggs can be used daily, but limit internal use to 30-60 minutes.
- It is best to wait a day or so after dearmouring to use your egg, to give your yoni a chance to integrate any shifts that occurred.
- For those with excess tension in their vaginas, it can be good to do a few dearmouring sessions before working with your egg, to avoid compounding the issue.
- As always, the most important piece to remember is to go slow, be gentle, and listen to your body!
Selina Gould is a licensed massage therapist with over 12 years of experience. Her work supports people in deepening their relationship with their bodies through traditional massage, as well as through holistic womb care modalities like womb massage, yoni steaming, and breathing techniques. In addition to her massage practice, Selina is a somatic sex educator and self-pleasure guide. It is her greatest honor to serve vulva owners with her work.